Membership is open to any person who is at least 18 years of age and meets one of the following requirements:
- holds a Music Teacher's diploma or degree from a School of Music recognized by the BCRMTA Provincial Council, in the instrument or subject of instruction stated in the application.
- holds a Music Performer’s diploma or degree from a School of Music recognized by the BCRMTA Provincial Council, in the instrument of subject of instruction stated in the application; and a record of a minimum of 4 years of teaching experience.
- be a member in good standing of a Registered Music Teachers’ Association of a Province other than British Columbia.
- satisfy, by application, the BCRMTA Board of Examiners that he/she qualifies to be accepted as a member of BCRMTA.
Benefits of Membership
Become a member of BCRMTA and enjoy:
- RMT Designation - qualified members are entitled by the B.C. Provincial Legislative Act of 1947 to use RMT (Registered Music Teacher) designation
- Membership in both BCRMTA and Canadian Federation of Music Teachers (CFMTA)
- Subscription to both BCRMTA Progressions and CFMTA The Canadian Music Teacher magazines.
- Opportunities to attend the National and Provincial Conferences
- Networking and the sharing of progressive ideas on the teaching of music through workshops and lectures for continued education
- Access to teaching resource materials through Professional Development committee
- Competition and scholarship opportunities for your students such as the CFMTA Music Writing competition and BC Piano Competition and Young Artist Tour and the CFMTA Piano Competition.
- Advertising through website listings and teacher locator
- Advertising material to promote your studio - brochures and published ads - to order or in downloadable format
- Being part of the local, provincial and national bodies that shape music education in Canada
Save money with your BCRMTA membership with:
- Westland Insurance - Group policy for $5 million Comprehensive General Liability and $ 500,000 Tenants Legal Liability which extends to locations that are rented on a temporary basis. Estimated value $250 (Coverage included in RMT membership)
- The Personal - discounted rates for home business insurance coverage with very competitive rates on instruments and office equipment
- ISME Associate (Group) Membership - discounted regional conventions and material fees
- The Vancouver Chopin Society - 15 - 20% discount on ticket prices depending on the performance
- Vancouver Symphony Orchestra - members may purchase up to two tickets for $15 each in A section or next best available for any regular season concert (excludes Special concerts and Dress circle seating)