- Age – 16 or older
- Minimum requirement – to have completed Gr. 9 Certificate (both Practical and Theoretical) with a recognized conservatory (RCM, CC, VCM or similar institution)
- Future goals – include achieving full membership in the BCRMTA
- Currently studying with a member of BCRMTA (or another Provincial RMT association in Canada) in the practical teaching subject OR theoretical subjects required for membership in BCRMTA
** N.B. Applicants who have earned a Performance Diploma but need additional teaching experience to qualify for membership in BCRMTA may continue to be sponsored by an RMT member until 4 years of experience are achieved
- Agreement to abide by the advertising policy statement (as shown on the application)
- Effective March 1, 2018, after 5 years as a member of the STA, the STA provincial rate will be increased to the same rate as paid by RMT's with extensions possible on an individual basis.
Student Teacher Auxiliary (STA) Members receive:
• a Certificate confirming coverage under the $5 million Group Liability Insurance Policy (covering all teaching activities)
• a Membership card (useful for teacher discounts)
• a receipt for income tax purposes
• a subscription (3 issues per year) to Progressions (BCRMTA provincial magazine)
STA members may subscribe to the CFMTA national magazine The Canadian Music Teacher for a cost of $20/year. Contact the BCRMTA Registrar.
There are nine branches which have Student Teacher Auxiliary members - Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Coquitlam/Maple Ridge, Nelson, North Island, South Fraser, Trail/Castlegar, Vancouver and Victoria.
Website Listing – STA Members are not listed on the BCRMTA Provincial Website but may be listed on their Branch website identified as Student Teacher Auxiliary membership.