- Age – 16 or older
- Minimum requirement – to have completed Gr. 9 Certificate (both Practical and Theoretical) with a recognized conservatory (RCM, CC, VCM or similar institution)
- Future goals – include achieving full membership in the BCRMTA
- Currently studying with a member of BCRMTA (or another Provincial RMT association in Canada) in the practical teaching subject OR theoretical subjects required for membership in BCRMTA N.B. Applicants who have earned a Performance Diploma but need additional teaching experience to qualify for membership in BCRMTA may continue to be sponsored by an RMT member until 4 years of experience are ahieved
- Agreement to abide by the advertising policy statement (as shown on the application)
Student Teacher Auxiliary (STA) Members receive:
• a Certificate confirming coverage under the $5 million Group Liability Insurance Policy (covering all teaching activities)
• a Membership card (useful for teacher discounts)
• a receipt for income tax purposes
• a subscription (3 issues per year) to Progressions (BCRMTA provincial magazine)
STA members may subscribe to the CFMTA national magazine The Canadian Music Teacher for a cost of $20/year. Contact the BCRMTA Registrar.
There are nine branches which have Student Teacher Auxiliary members – Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Coquitlam/Maple Ridge, Nelson, North Island, South Fraser, Trail/Castlegar, Vancouver and Victoria.
Website Listing – STA Members are not listed on the BCRMTA Provincial Website but may be listed on their Branch website identified as Student Teacher Auxiliary membership.